Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Roller Coaster

I have been incommunicado for a bit, basking in some family love and vibes via a visit from Mom and Dad from Wisconsin. We've simply been spending time, having dinners, playing ball across the kitchen table and enjoying the time together. It's a little thrill for me that despite the gaps between visits, Daniel is screechingly overjoyed to see his Grandma and Grandpa. When I told him the night before that we were going to have to drive to the airport to pick them up, he said, "Sounds FUN!" And then asked, "Andy too?" So I know he thinks of his Uncle Andy as well.

I am OK with living as far apart as we do about 95% of the time. Departures are hard, but the zipping through the airport to drop them off left little time to feel down about it. I started catching up on some bloggy stuff yesterday afternoon to discover that I won a blog contest hosted by Elizabeth at Table for Five. That was a nice little surprise to start my week!

The intention was to hop over to a local church playgroup with Daniel this morning for a little R&R. We have been butting heads most of the morning. On every. Single. Thing. It's making me a bit crazy. When I can step back, I recognize that he is probably missing the Grandparents, and can't necessarily express it. And of course there is just that toddler/preschooler testing the limits phase. The trip to the grocery store got jettisoned for all the screaming on the outside landing. When he flung his coat off, and then flung himself to the ground as well it was two choices: coat on and store and be calm, or back inside for a nap. Back inside we went. It is hard when they can scream long enough and loud enough that they can reduce you to tears. I keep saying that this determination and focus will be great traits once he's 18 and headed off to college, but as a two year old he's really able to dance on Mama's last shreds of patience.

No comments: