Saturday, August 01, 2009

Mommy Survivor Mode

I was reading something this morning that referred to this as "the summer that wasn't." At least here in New England, the temperature has only recently climbed to a point where I'm switching on the AC. And still we battle the rains - some massive storms moved through our area just yesterday. I'm starting to read about local farmers battling problems like tomato blight due to the excess water as well.

H spent a week out of town, which sent me into a tizzy of Must Stay Busy with the little guy. It was exhausting, but mostly successful with playdates and pool/splash park/beach visits where the weather allowed. And Daniel has sort of settled into his Tae Kwon Do class and seems to be enjoying it. Standing still and minding the teacher are new concepts - but good practice for preschool in the Fall. He even earned a "stripe" on his belt for doing a front snap kick!

H's return sort of coincided with Daniel's getting a summer cold, however, and it is just the slightest bit crazy-making for me. He is beside himself with the runny nose, screeching "My nose!" every 2.3 minutes and needing it wiped. Which is leading to a sore nose, naturally, of which there is no cure. Horrible Mommy that I am, I'm eventually just walking away as the din wears at my patience and he allows no comforting.

ALERT! Potential potty breakthrough! He just interrupted my writing to say that he needed to go use the potty! This is a HUGE departure from my begging/pleading/cajoling/bribing him into trips to the potty. I'm off to see what's up in my bathroom... Happy August everyone!

1 comment:

Shawna said...

Tissues with lotion make all the difference when it comes to avoiding the red, chapped nose. Seriously, you'd be amazed.