Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Tag Team Parenting

Long before Ethan arrived, I sort of wondered how it would go this going from one to two kids. It's felt a little odd. I mean, I've been blessed to be able to stay home with my children and for so long my focus has just been Daniel. Suddenly I'm back to the beginning with diapers and feedings and that special kind of attentiveness that comes from a little one needing you so much.

At five years old, Daniel is Mr. Independent and I can ask him to help me, or do things for himself like getting dressed. And that's a definite relief. Yet by the end of the day I'm so very grateful for H's arrival home from work. He can wrangle the five year old, and help him burn off some of that boy-energy while I take care of the little one. A side effect of this tag team method, however is that H complains that he needs more time with Ethan, while I often feel like I am neglecting Daniel. Still working to find that balance, I guess.

1 comment:

Christibear said...

Time with each child will come. We're about to have #5! My hubby and I take turns taking the older children out on a Daddy/Daughter or Mommy/Daughter "date" just one parent and one child. It can be done cheaply - we happen to have a free zoo. Perhaps while one is home with the baby the other parent can take the eldest for a "date". Then just switch. Good Luck!