Thursday, November 20, 2008

Hitting the Yellow Brick Road

We were in the mall recently, and making the rounds of our usual stores: The Disney Store, the food court to see the carousel... and stopped in the pet store to see the puppies. Daniel looked over at me and said: Grandpa has a puppy too. Grandpa has Sophie.

Yoinks.

I hmmd and agreed with him and quickly changed topics. I have yet to address the subject of loss to my three year old, and this one blindsided me a bit. Grandma and Grandpa are 1,200 miles away so it was easy to gloss over. But I can guarantee that this one is going to come around to bite me again. Anyone out there with some tried and true angles/methods/recommendations for talking to little ones about losing a pet?

1 comment:

Mandy said...

Just found you through blogher! I would just be as honest as possible. Kids handle it fairly well, surprisingly. I remember having a talk very similiar, stressing it and finally got the nerve and just told him and he said, "oh, do you want to play..." So you just never know!